Job Description of Industrial Relations / Plant HR / Factory HR Manager
We are looking for a high-performing industrial relations/plant HR/factory HR manager to act as liaison manager between the labour force and management. You will be responsible for hiring and laying off employees, planning personnel needs, and conducting job analysis. You will also need to evaluate performances, manage salaries and wages, schedule employee vacations, provide benefits, resolve disputes, and communicate with employees at every level.
Additionally, you will be required to prepare and distribute information for management to be used during the collective bargaining process. You need to be well-versed with collective bargaining trends, wage data, economics, and labour laws. A capable industrial relations managers should be able to interpret and administer employees’ contracts regarding issues such as:
- Healthcare benefits
- Salaries and wages
- Work hours
- Fair employment practices
- Safety codes
- Union practices
Your core responsibility will be to oversee the workers and the equipment they operate on the factory floor and be responsible for contributing to and carrying out production strategy decisions. You will have to design, plan, and implement human resources programs for the plant. You will need to administer corporate policies relating to compensation, benefits, employee relations, training, and health and safety programs. A crucial duty would be to manage subordinate staff in their day-to-day work and ensure that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhered to approved budgets. Other duties include:
- Oversee all necessary paperwork, employee communications, benefits maintenance, leave tracking, management reports, workers compensation claims, and return to work programs is completed
- Complete initial reporting, accident investigations, communication work restrictions, claim adjuster correspondence, tracking and claim review analysis for settlements
- Create termination packages, complete assigned terminations, ensure all termination paperwork is complete as per requirements
- Oversee the performance management of the employees and assist in salary planning
- Steer HR-related projects and initiatives throughout the year, maintain HR-related spreadsheets, update and distribute it on a predetermined schedule
- Develop labour policies
- Handle grievance procedures
- Manage dispute resolutions involving unions, management, employees or government agencies, etc.
- Ensure the HR staff is knowledgeable about union contract compliance
- Advise management on contract negotiations and similar management-union relations
- Consult HR executive staff regarding personnel policies
- Create and revise union contracts
- Head monthly labour management meetings
- Prepare documentation regarding labour relations assignments
This job requires years of experience, not less than 7 years, working on the factory floor and gaining technical experience with the equipment. 1 to 3 years of supervisory experience is an added advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree in labour relations, business management or human resources is required
- Candidates with a Master’s degree in human resource management and industrial/labour relations would be given preference
- 10 years of experience in HR, with at least 3 years of HR experience in a manufacturing environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Great verbal and written communications skills; not afraid to speak up when required
- Meticulous attention to detail, quality, and follow-through; strong interpersonal skills
- Proficient in MS Office suite of software.
Employment type – Permanent Job, Full Time
Remuneration – As per the industry standards.
Samples Job Descriptions
Mondelēz India Foods Ltd – Factory HR Manager
Mondelēz India Foods Ltd is a leading global confectionery & snacks company. It began its operations in 1948 by importing chocolates. After 60+ years of existence, it today has six company-owned manufacturing facilities at Thane, Induri (Pune), Malanpur (Gwalior), Sricity (Andhra Pradesh), Baddi (Himachal Pradesh), and Hyderabad and 4 sales offices (New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai). The corporate office is in Mumbai.
We operate in five categories in India – Chocolate, Confectionery, Beverages, Biscuits, Gum and Candy and market 11 Power Brands which include Bournvita, Dairy Milk, Halls, Gems, 5Star, Choclairs, Perk, Celebrations, Bournville, Tang & Oreo. Mondelez India Foods Ltd dominates the chocolate market in India with approximately 70% share of the market.
As the factory HR head, you will contribute in creating Performance Driven Values Led organization by aligning to the business goals the factory and implementing sustainable HR initiatives with your colleagues to enhance the organization capability of your unit.
HR supports business growth by driving the right culture, mindsets and behaviours. This is done through organization change initiatives, enabling effective team working, driving the right goal alignment processes, driving performance management to drive growth and other similar initiatives. The HR Manager is tasked with both identifying and leading the change initiatives required for driving growth in the factory.
- The HR Manager is responsible for the organization’s readiness for the factory in conjunction with the factory heads. They are also responsible for resourcing for their pools as well from the perspective of the right talent to drive the right growth.
- The HR Manager is responsible for the holistic management of the executive talent in the factory. The HR Manager will also be responsible for execution the compensation strategies for executives to deliver against the overall HR strategy.
- The HR Manager is also responsible for the development of colleagues through the PDP process, and in identifying and developing the right L&D interventions by themselves as well as in conjunction with the wider HR organization locally and globally.
- HR Managers will be responsible for adherence to statutes as well as organisation values.
In order to succeed in this role, it is expected that he/she will have:
- Excellent team management & communication skills
- Conflict management skills.
- IL6S and HPWS working knowledge
- High levels of persuasion, influence & facilitation skills
- Flexibility, adaptability and able to think laterally in different environments
- Strong focus on delivery and results with high drive and energy levels
Qualification and Career Experience Full Time Post graduate degree in Human Resource Management from reputed B- School. Min 9-12 years experience in the managerial cadre.Experience of handling High performance work systems.Experience of managing a large site (>1000 workforce). Thorough understanding of HR processes, labour laws and grievance handling.
To create a collaborative effort, through synchronization and matrix functioning, smooth and trouble-free operation in Manufacturing to achieve the targeted production with specified Quality standards and decided budget by harmonizing the use of Manpower, raw materials plant and equipment.
- Should be able to lead, develop, motivate and guide the Team effectively to achieve the set Company’s Goals.
- Plan for the optimization of Labour in strategizing production schedules with proper planning.
- Setting up planning activities for achieving higher productivity with minimum downtime.
- He has to be responsible for the Production and Maintenance budget.
- Responsible for creating the systems and sub-systems and processes to Maximise productivity levels with the highest quality standards.
- Should be able to form, lead, guide and train the Production Team in all aspects of Production Management.
- Shall be responsible for all the Safety and Environment related issues of the Plant.
- Responsible for all the modifications, improvements and New Projects in the Plant.
- In collaboration with the concerned plan the maintenance (both condition-based and proactive) of plant and equipment during the idle period and non-production days.
- Responsible for all modifications, improvements and New Projects in the Plant.
- Responsible for implementation of Continuous Improvement measures in the Plant.
- Should liaise with Finance & Accounts, Purchase and Logistics, sales, and HR for optimization of all the activities of production keeping the cost factor at the minimum on a continuous basis.
DURA Automotive Systems
- Develops implements, manages and administers policies and programs related to employment, employee relations, wage and salary administration, training, orientation, safety, health and benefits effectively and in accordance with company policy and governmental regulations.
- Communicates and works with corporate HR on specific questions, problems or policy interpretation.
- Manages the employment process of hourly and salary employees for the plant including recruitment, selection, offers of employment, relocation, drug screening and new hire orientation process in compliance with company policy and governmental regulations.
- Oversees the administration of salary administration and performance evaluation programs established by the corporation through effective communication to managers and employees on company guidelines and ensuring compliance with Human Resources, HRIS and Payroll procedures.
- Proposes and oversees the administration approved wage administration programs by researching the appropriate local or regional markets, communicating programs effectively to managers and employees, and ensuring approved programs and pay practices are followed.
- Effectively communicates the company’s health and welfare benefit programs and provides advice or acts as liaison with insurance providers and corporate office when problems or non-routine situations evolve.
- Oversees and administers other employment benefits such as vacation, service recognition awards, educational assistance, etc. and maintains all human resources related record keeping in compliance with company policy and governmental regulations.
- Develops, administers, and/or selects training programs for personnel as needs arise and coordinates or conducts training sessions to promote a well-educated and safety conscious work environment.
- Oversees and coordinates all necessary safety related tasks including training, inspections, internal audits, reporting and compliance with governmental regulations.
- Non Union Employee Relations – Provides guidance to supervisors and employees on problems originating from individual work situations, work environment or personal problems. Counsels management and employees on grievances and complaints and takes appropriate steps to see that they are resolved or channeled to management in an effort to retain union-free status.
- Ensure that all activities related to administration of the Dura Employee Benefit Plan comply with the Plan’s policies and procedures related to the protection of participants Protected Health Information (PHI) as defined under HIPAA Privacy Regulation.
- Works with managers, supervises and Corporate Compensation on the development or improvement of job descriptions to ensure job descriptions are an accurate reflection of job responsibilities and qualifications.
- Performs special projects as assigned by supervisor.
- Exposed to ISO/TS16949 audit.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 10-15+ years related experience. Additional education can be substituted for experience and vice versa.
- Experience with unions required.
- Exposure/experience with ISO/TS16949 is a plus.
- Working Knowledge: Assignments require considerable knowledge of management practice and policy interpretation or a combination of education and experience that develops technical capability to independently evaluate, select and apply techniques and standards.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements of personnel as classified.
DURA Automotive Systems is an Equal Opportunities Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
ABOUT DURA AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEMS
DURA Automotive Systems, a Lynn Tilton company, is a global automotive supplier specializing in the design, engineering and manufacturing of innovative solutions that propel the vehicle development initiatives of automakers. DURA is focused on advancing global sustainability technology in three core areas
- Driving fuel economy improvement through vehicle lightweighting and intelligent mechatronics
- Advancing safety through innovative structural vehicle architectures and advanced driver control solutions
- Preserving our environment through sustainable manufacturing practices
The company’s products include mechatronic control systems, including shift-by-wire systems; electronic systems, including actuators and Advanced Driver Assist Systems (ADAS); lightweight structural body systems, including aluminium closures; and exterior systems, including window systems and exterior trim.
DURA is headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan, USA; with global sales of $1.7 billion. The company has 12,000 employees worldwide and operates 40 facilities in 15 countries. Strong investments in new innovation programs and access to the extensive network of Lynn Tilton technology companies that span virtual gaming, electronics, fashion and aerospace industries have catapulted DURA’s future product offering to anticipate and satisfy the next generation of customer needs. DURA is nationally certified in the United States by the Women’s Business Enterprise Council.