Quality Assurance Engineer and Tester Job Description Template
We are looking for a Quality Assurance Engineer and Tester to join our team. As a Quality Assurance Engineer, you will be responsible for creating and implementing strategies for quality coordination, testing as well as suggesting solutions to the identified quality problems.
As a part of our Quality Assurance team, you will help us improve our tools, processes and products/services using automated testing tools and technologies.
Responsibilities as a QA:
- Review and analyze requirements, specifications, and technical design documents, providing timely feedback
- Develop detailed, comprehensive, and well-structured test plans and test cases
- Design, develop and execute automated tests
- Test current products and identify deficiencies
- Identify and report issues found, then verify that issues are resolved
- Suggest solutions to identified product problems
- Investigate product quality to make improvements to achieve better customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with the Product Development team to ensure consistent project execution
- Identify key KPIs for product quality
- Identify quality assurance process bottleneck and suggest actions for improvement
- Plan, create and manage the overall Quality Planning strategy
- Collect quality data & perform regression testing
- Oversee continuous improvement projects
- Investigate the causes of non-conforming software and train users to implement solutions
- Track quality assurance metrics, like defect densities and open defect counts
- Stay up-to-date with new testing tools and test strategies
- Prepare and present reports and metrics to Senior Management
Skill sets/Experience we require:
- 5 plus years of proven experience as a Quality Assurance Engineer
- Experience with a variety of testing techniques such as UI Testing, Automated Testing, Test Driven Development Strategies and other
- Experience with coding using JAVA, HTML5, DB2, XML
- Experience with web security technology & software QA tools and processes
- Critical thinker and problem-solver
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in writing clear, concise and comprehensive test plans and test cases
- Hands-on experience with both white box and black box testing
- Hands-on experience with automated testing tools
- Solid knowledge of SQL and scripting
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Experience with performance and/or security testing is a plus
- Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science or relevant field
Get a quick sneak peak into- Manual Testing Interview Questions
Sample Job Descriptions
#1 Quality Assurance Engineer at Amazon
Who You Are
- You are a sharp, experienced software engineer with strong problem-solving skills, a solid software testing foundation.
- You are a talented, detail-oriented and enthusiastic tester who is passionate about quality and is enthusiastic about the new cutting-edge technology offered to consumers.
- You will design, plan, execute and automate tests for software across a variety of n-tier architectures and cutting-edge technologies.
Who We Are
Seller Fulfilment Technology (SFT) team located in Bangalore is looking for a QAE to deliver strategic goals for Amazon eCommerce systems. This is an opportunity to join our mission to build tech solutions that empower sellers to delight the next billion customers. You will be responsible for testing and creating automated test frameworks for strategic business initiatives. If you feel excited by the challenge of setting the course for large company-wide initiatives, building and launching customer-facing products in international locales, this may be the next big career move for you. We are building systems that can scale across multiple marketplaces and are on the cutting edge in automated large scale e-commerce business.
We are looking for a QAE who can understand and derive test strategies across marketplaces. We operate in a high performance co-located agile ecosystem where SDEs, QAEs, Product Managers and Principals frequently connect with end customers of our products. Our QAEs stay connected with customers through seller/FC/Deliver Station visits and customer anecdotes. This allows our engineers to significantly influence the product roadmap, contribute to PRFAQs and create disproportionate impact through the tech they deliver. We offer Technology leaders a once in a lifetime opportunity to transform billions of lives across the planet through their tech innovations.
At a strategic level, our QA team will help drive the software development process towards quality-centric methodologies. The QA team will also drive efficiencies in the QA process and invest appropriately in process changes, automation, tools etc to reduce the overall QA effort for the product. The goal of our QA team is to build a comprehensive test suite that will be utilized to validate the solution in a scalable and repeatable manner. The QA team identifies use cases and creates test plans, defines test strategies and creates test cases to validate software design via manual and automated tests.
- Bachelor’s in CS or related field + 5 years of experience or Master’s and 2+ years of experience in software quality assurance
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as SQL, Perl, Python, XML or Ruby
- Ability to write code in C, C++ or Java
- Familiarity with automation testing tools such as Selenium or QTP
- Excellent QA aptitude and ability to drive process improvements
- Strong knowledge of QA methodology and tools
- Ability to write test plans and test strategy documents
- Ability to understand functional/technical specifications and analyze data
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with great attention to detail, including the ability to track multiple test executions simultaneously and synthesize the results
- Experience in testing systems built on three-tier architecture and web technologies
- Experience in using APIs and Web Services for testing service-oriented architecture
#2 Lead-QA Engineering at Fidelity India
This is an exciting role in the Global AutomationAccelerator (GAA) within Global Services (GS). Working in a globally distributed team, we are looking for a blended BA/QA Engineer to support projects and work in collaboration with our business partners and developers to delivery high quality capabilities across business units within Fidelity
The Value You Deliver
- You will be capable of building an end-to-end test strategy, determining exit criteria and provide independent verification and validation of functionality before delivery to the business sponsor
- You will actively work with business partners to clearly define all business requirements and use an analytical approach to identify opportunities for improvement for business partners
- On a daily basis you will be supporting BA & QA activities as part of a scrum team
- You will be defining test scenarios, creating test plans, designing and authoring test cases and participating in the definition and execution of manual and/or automated test scripts
- You will be developing testing scenarios and scripts using automated tools and mining for testing
- You will be documenting and reporting on identified testing issues in QualityCentre or Jira and participate in defect triage and test status meetings
- You will communicate plans and progress to stakeholders
The Skills that are Key to this role
- BA/QA practitioner working in agile methodology. However, your previous experience in Waterfall will be beneficial
- Strong interpersonal capabilities and ability to adapt to and engage multiple levels of stakeholders
- Able to support testing PoC’s where the testing activities required may be exploratory in nature along with project release deliverables where a structured and defined approach to testing is required.
- Have proven structured RequirementsGathering & Business Analysis Skills
- Ability to adapt QA testing approach to support ML capabilities
- Specific source-systems for access to data may be varied, and so your experience in connecting feeds from a variety of sources and services will be advantageous (including Oracle databases, API services, external files/spreadsheets, etc)
- Perform data analytics to assess business performance and recognize improvement opportunities
- Possesses critical-thinking skills, with an instinct for identifying patterns, trends and anomalies in data
- Experienced in test automation(Selenium, Cucumber, Fitnesse, Git, Maven) and support QA for ML capabilities is required.
- Experience in testing applications where ML based models are the components and previous experience of MLFlow
- Experience in web application testing is essential along with knowledge of UI & API/Middleware test frameworks
- Experience with web services test tools desired (e.g. SoapUI, SOA Test, REST Assured)
- You will bring the experience of SQL to the team and at least one coding/scripting language should be known
- Experience with Jira is essential and test management and test automation tools such as HP QC, QTP etc. is desired
- You will have a solid understanding of the software development process including analysis, design, coding, system and user testing, problem resolution and planning
- Conduct industry research to maintain knowledge currency and improve organizational performance
- Your communication and interpersonal skills will be key to success in this role. A strong ability to maintain good working relationships with partners is essential
- Experience in wireframing and UI prototyping would be an advantage
- Ability to work on own initiative and to partner well within a small team
- Self-start attitude essential
The Skills that are good to have for this role
- Exposure to Cloud-based application testing
- Microsoft.Net exposure
How your work impacts the organization
Global AutomationAccelerator (GAA) is part of the VitalityOffice within Global Services and was established with an objective to optimize processes through the application of emerging automation techniques. The organization works on accelerating the identification and implementation of automation solutions which include but are not limited to Machine Learning, Information Extraction, Rules Engines and Natural Language Processing.
The expertise we’re looking for
- 6+ years of IT experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in ComputerScience or equivalent
Fidelity Investments is one of the world’s largest providers of financial services. Headquartered in Boston, US, Fidelity’s goal is to make financial expertise broadly accessible and effective in helping people live the lives they want. Privately held for nearly 70 years, Fidelity employs 45,000 associates who are focused on the long-term success of our customers. FMR (Fidelity Management & Research) India is the Global Inhouse Center of Fidelity Investments. Headquartered in Bangalore, where operations commenced in 2003, FMR India has another fully functional unit at Chennai. To know more visit: FMR India
Location: Bangalore – EGL
Shift timings: 11:00 am – 8:00pm
#3 Quality Assurance Engineer – GE
GE Digital is looking for an experienced QA Engineer to work on a number of exciting projects that will have a very positive impact on GE’s business. Responsible for testing a feature, feature set or entire applications. Contributes to the team and works with direction from Senior Team Members or management; increasing the ability to work independently.
- Break down problems and estimates time for quality related tasks
- Demonstrate increasing expertise in application domain and functional areas
- Apply various testing types and methodologies effectively during SDLC
- Take ownership of small tasks and deliver without supervision while using their discretion to seek help when necessary
- Apply principles of SDLC and methodologies like Lean/Agile/XP, CI, Software and Product Security, Scalability, Documentation Practices, refactoring and Testing Techniques
- Work independently and delivers testing and use case creation which meets standards and delivers desired functionality using the technology selected for the project
- Write effective tests according to best practices so that crucial functional requirements are verified and tests remain valid when code is refactored
- Integrate project testing with continuous-integration process
- Collaborate with development team in bugs fixing and build plans
- Collaborate with Tech Leads in creating test plans
- Implement and configures testing tools and at times help junior staff
- Develop and executes maintainable automation tests for acceptance, functional, and regression test cases
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in the industry
- Experience in test automation such as Selenium or Katalon Studio
- Demonstrated experience and ability to write Java code for the purposes of testing solution code (e.g., white-box testing)
- Experience testing web services (SOAP/REST; Throughput, Performance under Load, etc.)
- Experience with issue-tracking and agile project management systems such as Jira, GreenHopper, Confluence, Rally, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Identifies opportunities for innovation and offers new ideas. Takes the initiative to experiment with new testing tools and frameworks
- Adapts to new environments and changing requirements. Pivots quickly as needed.
- Persists to completion, especially in the face of overwhelming odds and setbacks. Pushes self for results; pushes others for results through team spirit
GE (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and curing the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company’s website at www.ge.com.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.