Job Description for Company Secretary
We are looking for an experienced Company Secretary who would be the manager’s and company executive’s right hand. As Company Secretary, you will be instrumental in helping the office run smoothly, provide support to managers, senior-level executives, and departments. You’ll need to ensure that our company complies with financial and legal requirements, and maintain high standards of corporate governance. You also need to have a thorough understanding of the laws that affect your areas of work so that you are equipped to provide appropriate legal advice whenever needed.
Responsibilities of a Company Secretary
A company secretary’s core duties include optimizing workflow procedures in the office, assisting colleagues and executives in planning and distributing information, and being the point of reference for all queries, requests, or issues. Additionally, as a company secretary, you’ll need to:
- Report to the chairman and often liaise with board members.
- Prepare agendas and papers for board meetings, committees, and annual general meetings (AGMs) and follow up on action points.
- Convene and service AGMs, take minutes, draft resolutions, and lodge required forms and annual returns with appropriate departments.
- Provide legal, financial, and/or strategic advice during and outside of meetings.
- Ensure policies, regulatory, or statutory changes that might affect the organization are up to date and approved by the committee.
- Maintain statutory books, including registers of members, directors, and secretaries.
- Handle correspondence, collate information, write reports and communicate decisions to relevant company stakeholders.
- Liaise with external regulators and advisers such as lawyers and auditors.
- Implement processes or systems to ensure good management of the organization.
- Develop and oversee the systems that ensure the company complies with all applicable codes, in addition to its legal and statutory requirements.
- Pay dividends to shareholders and manage share option schemes opted by various shareholders.
- Take an active role and provide valuable input to the management decisions related to sharing issues, mergers, and takeovers.
- Monitor the administration of the company’s pension scheme.
- Manage contractual agreements with suppliers and customers.
- Manage the office space and deal with personnel administration and company/staff insurance policies.
- Drive PR activities related to aspects of financial management.
- Although this area of work is open to all graduates, candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in accountancy and finance, business and management, and the law would be preferred
- Strong administrative skills and an aptitude for using IT software.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Commercial awareness.
- Meticulous attention to detail and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work with people at all levels.
- Influencing skills.
- Excellent organization and time management.
- An ability to take initiative.
- A flexible and practical approach to work.
- Discretion when handling confidential information
- Maintain a diplomatic approach towards issues.
- Confidence to provide support to high-profile company staff and board members.
Permanent Job, Full Time
As per the industry standards.
Samples Job Descriptions
Legal Counsel & Company Secretary, Wipro GE
The Legal Shared Services function provides Company Secretarial (CS), Corporate Governance, and quasi-legal services to support the various business operations of GE in India. More specifically this role will be responsible for Corporate Secretarial for GE Healthcare, which includes the Wipro GE joint venture
- Initiate, drive process rigor and accuracy, execute and manage compliance under Corporate & Other Laws.
- Work with different stakeholders within and outside the business to identify and execute key opportunities for the business to meet regulatory compliance goals.
- Compliance with requirements of RBI.
- Compliances and liaising with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Registrar of Companies, the Reserve Bank of India, Securities and Exchange Board of India, and other statutory authorities.
- Convening Board Meetings and General Meetings, preparing agenda and minutes.
- Implementing of Corporate Governance processes
- Adhere to all rules and regulation concerning the company practices and procedures
- Supporting compliance with all statutory requirements and working with internal and external agencies to carry out legal compliance audits.
- Guide other functional members on the Company Law on issues related to document management, litigation holds, litigation strategy, and document management process improvements.
- Anticipate and drive solutions for a diverse range of legal and business issues.
- Advise Board of Directors on key managerial and corporate governance issues
- Implement policies and procedures for the company
- Drive simplification
- Make requisite regulatory filings
- Manage the process and filings for PF and other retiral Trusts, CSR and POSH Committees
- Training Directors on corporate governance principles
- Qualified graduate and member of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India with approximately 9+ years of experience with preferably in-house experience with the above responsibilities.
- Candidate with experience in providing Company Secretarial support to engineering, healthcare, and research organizations would be preferred
- Unyielding commitment to ethics & high personal integrity and impeccable professional ethics.
- Ability to communicate effectively and inspire confidence in teams, executive management, and peers.
- Ability to successfully work in cross-functional teams
- Ability and courage to question status quo and develop solutions to address concerns
- Effective and efficient delivery of top-quality Company Secretarial services in the corporate environment
- 9+ years of experience in counseling on all Company Secretarial matters
- Experience in communicating with senior-level personnel
- Demonstrated ability to implement process-driven solutions to Company Secretarial issues.
- Exposure to an in-house Company Secretarial department
GE (NYSE: GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE people are global, diverse, and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for our customers. www.ge.com
EXECUTIVE FINANCE CUM COMPANY SECRETARY
Clariant is a focused and innovative specialty chemical company based near Basel in Switzerland. Last year the company recorded CHF 6.6 billion in sales harnessing the talents of its 18 000 employees across 53 countries. Clariant’s portfolio is optimized for future growth, with a focus on four business areas: Care Chemicals, Catalysts, Natural Resources, and Plastics & Coatings. We believe that our growth is all about our customers and their success. Investment in innovation capabilities and developing inspiring environments for courageous and determined minds are therefore key to reaching our goal. Join us and help create sustainable value through chemistry for customers all over the globe.
- Preparation of statutory accounts, including necessary coordination with statutory auditors
- Reporting as per global internal guidelines
- Monthly analysis of financial statements and ensuring error-free accounts and reports
- To coordinate with internal auditors for completion of the internal audit assignment
- To prepare MIS / necessary data as per any other statutory/internal requirement as may be necessary
- Preparing entire Agenda Folders, notice for Board and its Committee Meetings & AGM / EGM
- Preparing Minutes and ensuring post-meeting compliances
- Ensuring Post AGM / EGM compliances under various Corporate Laws
- Various e-Forms for intimation/approval to RoC/Central Government
- Filing Forms, Allotment, intimating RBI, etc. at the time of issue of shares/transfer
- Preparation of Director’s report and compilation of data therein for Annual Report
- Manage compliances for shares through Registrar & Transfer Agents, reconciliation of share capital
- Maintain Statutory register, take annual disclosures from the Directors, etc
- Qualifications – Chartered Accountant & Company Secretary
- 4-5 years experience in financial accounting + company secretary related matters
- Company secretarial knowledge + accounting knowledge
#3 CNTC India Projects
Position: Company Secretary
No. of Positions – 1
Following will be the job responsibilities of the incumbent.
- Handling of all ROC compliance under the Companies Act 2013.
- Maintenance of statutory registers, records, etc.
- Drafting of agenda, notices, minutes for the board, general meetings, and organizing the said meetings.
- Preparing annual reports and returns of the organization.
- Vetting of legal documents, agreements, and contracts of the organization.
- E – filing of various forms.
- Finance-related work and other statutory-related works.