Event Planner Interview Questions
There is no single-hand rule that you can follow when interviewing candidates for the role of an event planner. Base your questions on the size of your company and the work the person will be required to do- large/small sized functions. You want to assess them on their organizational, planning, creative, time management and financing skills.
Vendor management, logistics, budgeting, client satisfaction- all need to be evaluated as the top priorities. Ultimately, the client should be happy with the results their work has translated into. Though a prior experience isn’t mandatory, it will act as a bonus.
Here are a few questions that will help you in finding the right candidate.
- Why do you want to work for us?
- What according to you are the qualities an event planner should possess?
- How do you define yourself?
- How do you think the company will be affected positively by hiring you?
- What do you think are the major challenges of this job?
- How do you think your past experience has helped you for your present role?
- What would you do if there was an important function and two staff members broke into a fight? How would you ensure the situation doesn’t go out of hand?
- How do you think you can improve the customer satisfaction and overall situation of our company?
- What is the first thing you would change here if you were hired?
- Which questions would you ask a potential client? What information would you need from them?
- How would you figure out the best venue for the event?
- How would you deal with clients who weren’t happy with your work?
- Which event planning tools and software do you use?
- What would you do if non-vegetarian food accidently reached a vegetarian event?
- Tell us a time when you spent more than your budget for an event? What were the consequences and how did you manage it?
- Tell us about an event that had technical problems? How did you fix them?
- Tell us about your most successful event plan?
- They say ‘a customer is always right’. Do you believe in it? What would you do if a client isn’t right and you know it?
- Tell us about a time when you felt fulfilled with your job?
- Defend the remuneration package that you want.