Director of Nursing Interview Questions
A director of nursing (DON) oversees the services offered by a healthcare facility’s nursing staff. A nursing director’s various responsibilities include supervising nursing staff and patient care, as well as administrative activities including record keeping and budgeting.
To get you started, here are some interview questions to assess the candidates rightly:
- How do you deal with a workplace crisis?
- Do you ever bring your work home with you? What steps do you take to ensure a healthy work-life balance?
- What do you believe the ideal method is for new nurses to be trained?
- Have you ever had a disagreement with a chairman? How did you find a solution?
- How do you develop and grow a team?
- What criteria do you use to evaluate your nursing staff?
- What do you believe is the most effective strategy to increase hospital efficiency?
- What would you do if a member of your team was underperforming and needed to be disciplined?
- Explain how you conduct chart audits.
- How many years of experience do you have in this field?
- Do you have any healthcare credentials, certificates, or licences?
- What is the most difficult aspect of working in the healthcare field?
- What distinguishes you as the best candidate for this job?
- As a nurse, what do you think your strongest ability is? As a member of the management team, perhaps?
- What do you do to keep informed on medical news and breakthroughs in the realm of healthcare?