Job Description of DevOps Engineer
At ________________________(Name of the Company) we are looking for DevOps Engineers to be an integral part of our architecture. In this challenging role, it will be part of your responsibility to combine development with operations with the aim of reducing the cost and turnaround time of technical projects while improving the ability to maintain the infrastructure. If you possess excellent strategizing skills, enjoy collaborating with others, and have above-average communication skills this could be your opportunity to come aboard with us.
As part of the DevOps team, you will be instrumental in building better communication and improved collaboration between the software development team and the operations team. It will involve looking into seamless integration among the teams while constantly deploying the code.
You will need to be flexible with regard to your work style since the job profile might require you to attend to multiple high-pressure work situations simultaneously. You will need to keep abreast of new technologies and tools with an aim to introducing them to the company to grow our agile development environment. Providing direct server support during deployment and general production will be a major part of your work schedule in addition to prioritizing requests from operations, development, and product teams in a balanced manner.
- Participate in processes of strategic project planning meetings
- Provide end to end IT Solution that includes developing, building, installing and configuring software solutions
- Assist with all stages of data testing
- Perform script maintenance and updates
- Deploy new modules and upgrades and complete fixes within the production environment
- Carry out routine application maintenance tasks via strategy building techniques
- Troubleshoot existing applications and platforms
- Implement integrations requested by the customer
- Build tools to reduce error occurrence thereby leading to customer satisfaction
- _____ (years) hands-on experience as DevOps engineer or similar software engineering role
- Hands-on experience in networking security, databases, and cloud systems
- Profound knowledge in various scripting languages, system and server administration, and mass system deployments
- Wide knowledge in operating system administration, programming languages, cloud platform deployments, and network protocols
- Team spirit
- Problem-solving attitude
- Superior communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field
(A brief introduction about the company and its line of work to be mentioned here)
Sample Job Descriptions from Other Companies
DevOps Engineer Overview
The Jr. DevOps Engineer shares responsibility with a team for the company’s internal and customer-facing application availability and works closely with Software Development and Information Technology to provision, configure, maintain and monitor the systems supporting them. The Jr. DevOps Engineer establishes and maintains build and release tools and processes within a large-scale database, middleware, and backend server application architecture using a wide variety of tools. The Jr. DevOps Engineer has familiarity with network administration terminology.
- Operate and maintain high availability systems in remote data centers
- Proactively scale and improve application systems to meet rapid growth
- Work closely with the IT and development teams on system provisioning and configuration
- Work closely with development teams to ensure application reliability and performance
- Work closely with development teams to deliver ongoing releases and updates
- Create and maintain release and update processes using Team Foundation Server and Visual Studio Team Services including continuous integration
- Automate management of container (Docker) images using Chef and Jenkins
- Develop task automation scripts using scripting languages such as PowerShell, Bash, VB/C# Script, and PHP
- Administer databases including replication, log shipping, performance tuning, backups, maintenance, and operational issues
- Maintain distinct development, staging, pre-production, production, and demo environments
- Maintain team permissions per established policies
- Maintain monitoring and reporting infrastructure
- Assist IT and development teams in troubleshooting system issues
- Ensure release and update process remains agile and efficient
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical college degree
- Applicable industry certifications a plus
- Relevant experience with database and web administration a plus
- Development background preferred
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft or Linux operating systems, wiliness to work in both a must
- Network management experience a plus
- Experience with Single sign-on systems
- Experience with production change control and release processes a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel
- Experience with backup software and hardware a plus
- Basic understanding of server provisioning automation
- Basic understanding of server maintenance and health
- Basic understanding of networking engineering concepts
- Excellent time and priority management abilities
- Very strong problem solving/analytical abilities
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Excellent communication skills; verbal, written, and listening, across several disciplines and organizational levels
- Sound technical to business understanding
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision
- Team player with a positive and encouraging demeanor
- Able to thrive in a small business atmosphere
- Ability to participate across various teams, cultures, geographies, and time zones
- Able to work outside of normal business hours without prior notice in case of very high priority issue
- Ability to quickly switch focus to other tasks
- Innovative problem solving & analysis
The Transportation Support Team in Hyderabad is looking for a Software Support Engineer/DevOps who will act as first-level support for all incoming production software application issues dealing with nearly 40 different services in Transportation Technology. DevOps Engineer will be specializing in application support of WW Trans Logistic Systems.
Your solutions will impact our customers directly! This job requires you to constantly hit the ground running and your ability to learn quickly and work on disparate and overlapping tasks will define your success. High Impact production issues often require coordination between multiple Development, Operations, and IT Support groups, so you get to experience a breadth of impact with various groups.
Primary responsibilities include troubleshooting, diagnosing, and fixing production software issues, developing monitoring solutions, performing software maintenance and configuration, implementing the fix for internally developed code (Perl, Ruby, Java), performing SQL queries, updating, tracking, and resolving technical challenges. Responsibilities also include working alongside development on Amazon Corporate and Divisional Software projects, updating/enhancing our current software, automation of support processes, and documentation of our systems.
The ideal candidate must be detail-oriented, have superior verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, able to juggle multiple tasks at once, able to work independently, and can maintain professionalism under pressure. You must be able to identify problems before they happen and implement solutions that detect and prevent outages. You must be able to accurately prioritize projects, make sound judgments, work to improve the customer experience and get the right things done.
- BS in Computer Science or a related field.
- 4+ years overall development/technical support experience.
- 3+ years experience in scripting (bash, python, ruby, and/or similar)
- 2+ years of Object-oriented development experience in Java or C++.
- 2 + years of experience with UNIX/Linux operating system.
- 2 + years of experience with SQL/PLSQL, relational data management.
- Experience working with relational databases, and distributed computing technologies.
- Experience with Linux
- Debugging and troubleshooting skills, with an enthusiastic attitude to support and resolve customer problems
- Other desired technical skills include Perl, Ruby, Oracle SQL.
- Demonstrates skill and passion for operational excellence.
- Documentation skills
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues
- Experience in a 24/7 production environment is a plus
- Provide L1 and L2 technical level support for the platform by responding, investigating, and resolving user queries and technical issues.
- Undertake configuration and implementation of assigned application and integration modules within operating standards and governance guidelines.
- Participate in design discussions and documentation of IT solutions and workarounds to improve customer experience.
- Participate in quality management reviews and retrospectives to ensure operational KPIs are met as part of continuous improvement for operational resiliency.
- Provide support of initiatives and enhancements undertaken by the team and manage assigned deployment-related tasks for smooth Production roll out and post-production support
- Provide estimation of effort required for activities and tasks and participate in sprints.
- Communicate and notify users of any scheduled activity or feature changes that impact the availability or enhance the usability of the system.
- Perform root cause analysis as required for production errors.
- Develop automation scripts as needed to enhance operational efficiencies.
- Ensure operational compliance to internal and external audit, compliance, and risk guidelines.
- At least 7 – 9 years of working experience,
- Experience in banking environments will be an advantage.
- Has prior experience supporting Jira/Jira ServiceDesk/Confluence or any other service management tool would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with Windows and RHEL operating systems would be an advantage.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of databases and MS SQL would be an advantage.
- Able to work proactively, independently, and handle concurrent activities.
- Prior experience working in an Agile environment will be an advantage.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a positive attitude.
- Candidate with operational experience, preferably in support of critical application systems, will have an advantage
- English: Intermediate