Data Scientist Job Description Template
______________________(Name of the Company) is looking for Data Scientists. As a Data Scientist, you will be responsible for advising the business on the potential of available data, to provide new insight into the mission of the organization. It will be part of your job profile to create solutions to enhance business performance by using statistical analysis, data visualization, and data mining techniques. If you have a passion for machine learning along with research and critical thinking and problem-solving are your strength, this could be your opportunity to come on board with us.
This is an important role wherein you will be advising the Company on making informed business decisions and deliver even better products.
Your primary responsibility as a Data Scientist will be to analyze large amounts of information and arrive at patterns that will help to boost the business of the Company. We will rely on you to build data products to extract valuable business insights. A highly analytical mindset with a passion for mathematics and statistics will assist you in achieving your work objectives in a smooth manner.
Your primary focus will be on applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high-quality prediction systems integrated with our products. As a Data Scientist, you will also mentor supporting personnel for this position, continuously ensuring effective execution of duties at the junior levels. Preparing reports and presentations at regular intervals for the stakeholders of the company and driving the decision-making process of the Company in the right direction will be part of your job profile too.
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions
- Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- Carry out Data mining using state of the art technologies
- Enhance data collecting procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Verify the integrity of data used for analysis by processing and cleansing it when needed
- Build predictive models and machine learning algorithms to increase and optimize customer experience, revenue generation, ad targeting, and other business outcomes
- Present information using data visualization techniques
- Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Collaborate with engineering and product development teams to implement models and monitor outcomes
Skills and Qualifications
- We are looking for a person with a minimum of ______ years of experience working with business informatics/analysis and business outcome research in a fast-paced, complex business setting
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics/Mathematics/Computer Science/Machine Learning/ Economics or any other quantitative field is preferred
- Experience using statistical computer languages such as Python, SLQ, etc
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques such as GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc
- Experience in data mining
- Understanding of machine learning and operations research
- Experience using business intelligence tools such as Tableau and data frameworks such as Hadoop
- Analytical mind and business acumen
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
(A brief introduction about the Company)
Sample Job Descriptions from Other Companies
#1 Data Weave
Powered by AI, DataWeave provides Competitive Intelligence as a Service to retailers and consumer brands by aggregating and analyzing data from the Web at a massive scale.
While retailers use DataWeave’s Retail Intelligence product to make smarter pricing, assortment, and promotion decisions to drive profitable growth, consumer brands use DataWeave’s Brand Analytics product to govern their online brand presence, optimize their Share of Voice, and drive improved e-commerce shelf velocity. DataWeave’s Counterfeit Products Detection Solution was awarded as one of the “Best 50 Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence” by NASSCOM in 2018. Also, our competitive intelligence platform won the NASSCOM Emerge 50 Award in 2016.
Some of the world’s largest and most popular retailers and brands have consistently trusted DataWeave, including the likes of Overstock, Metro Cash & Carry, OfferUp, Adidas, Dorel, and Netgear.
DATA SCIENCE @DATAWEAVE
We the Data Science team at DataWeave (called Semantics internally) build the core machine learning backend and structured domain knowledge needed to deliver insights through our data products. Our underpinnings are innovation, business awareness, long-term thinking, and pushing the envelope. We are fast-paced labs within the org applying the latest research in Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing, and Deep Learning to hard problems in different domains.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
DataWeave provides Retailers and Brands with “Competitive Intelligence as a Service” that enables them to take key decisions that impact their revenue. Powered by AI, we provide easily consumable and actionable competitive intelligence by aggregating and analyzing billions of publicly available data points on the Web to help businesses develop data-driven strategies and make smarter decisions.
It’s hard to tell what we love more, problems or solutions! Every day, we choose to address some of the hardest data problems that there are. We are in the business of making sense of messy public data on the web. At a serious scale! Read more on becoming a DataWeave.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understand the business problems we are solving. Build data science capability that aligns with our product strategy.
- Conduct research. Do experiments. Quickly build throw-away prototypes to solve problems pertaining to the Retail domain.
- Build robust clustering and classification models in an iterative manner that can be used in production.
- Constantly think scale, think automation. Measure everything. Optimize proactively.
- Take end-to-end ownership of the projects you are working on. Work with minimal supervision.
- Help scale our delivery, customer success, and data quality teams with constant algorithmic improvements and automation.
- Take initiatives to build new capabilities. Develop business awareness. Explore productization opportunities.
- Be a tech thought leader. Add passion and vibrance to the team. Push the envelope. Be a mentor to junior members of the team.
- Stay on top of the latest research in deep learning, NLP, Computer Vision, and other relevant areas.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Have a strong grasp of concepts in computer science, probability, and statistics, linear algebra, calculus, optimization, algorithms, and complexity.
- Background in one or more information retrieval, data mining, statistical techniques, natural language processing, and computer vision.
- Excellent coding skills in multiple programming languages with experience building production-grade systems. Prior experience with Python is a bonus.
- Experience building and shipping machine learning models that solve real-world engineering problems. Prior experience with deep learning is a bonus.
- Experience building robust clustering and classification models on unstructured data (text, images, etc).
- Experience working with Retail domain data is a bonus.
- Ability to process noisy and unstructured data to enrich it and extract meaningful relationships.
- Experience working with a variety of tools and libraries for machine learning and visualization, including NumPy, matplotlib, scikit-learn, Keras, PyTorch, Tensorflow.
- Use the command line like a pro. Be proficient in Git and other essential software development tools.
- Working knowledge of large-scale computational models such as MapReduce and Spark is a bonus.
- Be a self-starter—someone who thrives in fast-paced environments with minimal ‘management’.
- It’s a huge bonus if you have some personal projects (including open source contributions) that you work on during your spare time. Show off some of the projects you have hosted on GitHub.
Location – Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Job type: Full-Time
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB is a global technology leader in industrial digitalization. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees and $34 billion in revenue.
In India, ABB has been operating for over a century. At present, we have 40 factories at 9 locations that develop best-in-class products bringing together global expertise, with local experience. India is also home to ABB group’s largest engineering design and R&D centre, where our engineers work on cutting-edge technologies to develop future offerings from engineering tools to analytics solutions.
As a Data Scientist, you will be part of the India Operations Centre, Industrial Automation (INOPC IA), and will be based in Bangalore.
The ABB’s Process Industries team engineers and delivers automation solutions from device to monitoring and control, ensuring our customers get the most out of their investment. Our digitalization solutions help improve plant and enterprise productivity while reducing maintenance and energy costs. Deep domain knowledge enables us to truly understand and address the challenges and opportunities of Industrial Automation.
- Responsible for using open source Machine Learning and AI libraries (including Deep Learning, NLP, etc.).
- Accountable for the development of proof of concepts, prototypes, and support in pilot evaluation and implementation of solutions.
- Manage data analytics and machine learning for monitoring, diagnosis, and predictive maintenance in the process industry.
- Living ABB’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering with 6 to 10 years of experience in relevant Industry.
- Good knowledge of Basic Statistics (Hypothesis testing, probability, distributions, etc.)
- Exposure towards multivariate statistical Analysis (such as PCA, PLS, etc.).
- Strong in Machine learning and supervised learning techniques such as ANN, Decision Trees, SVM, Naïve Bayes, etc.
- Knowledge of Unsupervised learning techniques such as k-means, hierarchical clustering, etc.
- Experience in Time-series analysis, Signal Processing, and related area.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Important, please include in your CV the following passage:
“I hereby agree for my personal data, included in my job application, to be processed in line with the needs of recruitment, in accordance with the Law on Personal Data Protection of 29th August 1997 (Law Gazette from 2002, No.101, heading 926, as amended).”
Data Science Expert
At Hewlett Packard Enterprise, we bring together the brightest minds to create breakthrough technology solutions that advance the way people live and work. What sets us apart? Our people and our relentless dedication to helping our customers make their mark on the world.
We are a team of doers, dreamers, ask, learning, and visionaries; inspired by our purpose and driven by our strategy. We live by our three values: partner, innovate and act.
Our legacy inspires us as we forge ahead, always pushing to discover what’s next. Every day is a new opportunity to advance and grow ourselves, our company, and the industry. Some people call it an obsession, we call it a way of life.
What you need to know about the job
Learning does not only happen through training. Relationships are among the most powerful ways for people to learn and grow, and this is part of our HPE culture. In addition to working alongside talented colleagues, you will have many opportunities to learn through coaching and stretch assignment opportunities. You’ll be guided by feedback and support to accelerate your learning and maximize your knowledge.
We also have a “reverse mentoring” program which allows us to share our knowledge and strengths across our multi-generation workforce. Hewlett Packard Enterprise is an industry-leading Technology Company that enables customers to go further, faster. With the industry’s most comprehensive portfolio, spanning the cloud to the data centre to workplace applications, our technology and services help customers around the world make IT more efficient, more productive, and more secure.
Designs develop, and apply programs, methodologies, and systems based on advanced analytic models (e.g. advanced statistics, operations research, computer science, process) to transform structured and unstructured data into meaningful and actionable information insights that drive decision making.
Uses visualization techniques to translate analytic insights into understandable business stories (eg. descriptive, inferential and predictive insights).
Embeds analytics into client’s business processes and applications. Combines business acumen and scientific methods to solve business problems.
- Guides and coordinates the formulation and definition of analytics solution objectives and technical requirements based on user needs, an understanding of business processes, industry requirements, and advanced analytic models (statistical, operations research, computing, process).
- Conceptualizes, builds, develops, and enhances a client’s analytic model. Selects the relevant analytic modeling methodologies for the use case, available structured and unstructured data, cost, and timing constraints to solve the complex business issues and deliver clear business-focused insights.
- Embeds analytic models into an enhanced large-scale business process and operational systems by collaborating with Application Developers.
- As an expert creates best practices for applying analytic methods to problem domains.
- Using advanced visualization techniques condenses complex ideas into elegant and simple visual models.
- Communicates the innovative analytic solution to stakeholders providing industry insight and improvements to the operational systems.
Education and Experience Required:
- Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science or equivalent preferred and 3+ years of relevant experience. Or Master’s Degree in these areas and at least 5-6 years of relevant experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of data science methodologies including but not limited to classical regression, neural nets, CHAID, CART, association rules, sequence analysis, cluster analysis, and text mining.
- Ability to translate business requirements into mathematical models and data science objectives to achieve measurable business outcomes.
- In-depth understanding of analytics software (eg. R, SAS, SPSS, Python). Advanced understanding of analytics deployment architectures.
- In-depth machine learning, data integration and mathematical modeling skills, and ETL tools (Informatica, Ab Initio, Talend).
- In-depth communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and effectiveness in working across geographical boundaries.
- Advanced knowledge of programming languages such as Python, SQL, R, SAS, Java, Unix Shell scripting. Advanced knowledge of Hadoop framework desired.
- In-depth knowledge of data visualization techniques and software tools (eg. Spotfire, SAS, R, Qlikview, Tableau, HTML5, D3).
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Values:
- Partnership first: We believe in the power of collaboration – building long term relationships with our customers, our partners, and each other
- Bias for action: We never sit still – we take advantage of every opportunity
- Innovators at heart: We are driven to innovate – creating both practical and breakthrough advancements
- HPE is an EOE / Female / Minority / Individual with Disabilities / Protected Veteran Status
What do we offer?
- Extensive social benefits, flexible working hours, a competitive salary, and shared values, make Hewlett Packard Enterprise one of the world’s most attractive employers. At HPE our goal is to provide equal opportunities, work-life balance, and constantly evolving career opportunities.
- If you are looking for challenges in a pleasant and international work environment, then we definitely want to hear from you. Apply now below, or directly via our Careers Portal at www.hpe.com/careers
- HPE is an equal opportunity employer/Female/Minority/Individual with Disabilities/Protected Veteran Status