Business Analyst Job Description Template
Business Analysts are a vital link between information tech and business objectives. They assist with understanding the collected data cross-department, identifying problems, opportunities, and areas of improvement. All this works towards achieving and exceeding business goals.
We are looking for someone who is forward-thinking and can understand and circumvent constraints to bring changes to fruition while overseeing the operation. Assertiveness is a big bonus!
When it comes to understanding data and designing modifications – we are looking for someone proactive and data-driven. Therefore, we are looking for a dynamic individual who can take charge, own the project and deliver exceptional results that cause profits and efficiency to rise within the business.
<A short description about the company’s work and culture>
Responsibilities of a Business Analyst:
- Lead data-reviewing and develop strategic, ongoing optimizations to better the current state
- Gather and understand information from stakeholders to produce impact-oriented reports to solve for the current problems statement
- Help design, document, and maintain system processes
- Build out a project document that includes milestones, phases, and elements; forming a project team; establishing a project budget, and so forth.
- Report and analyze data with visualization tools to draw business-relevant conclusions
- Collaborate with stakeholders across BU’s to understand situations cohesively, and solve, collaboratively.
- Participate in user acceptance testing once the change has been implemented, along with functional testing of the new system
- Understand and communicate the exact financial and operational impact of any changes that will be implemented
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to engage diplomatically with stakeholders and communicate changes that cause positive business impact
- Ability to develop and run a training program to keep team/BU updated with implementations that affect the business
- A bachelor’s degree in business or related field or an MBA.
- Strong understanding of analytics, tools, theories, and frameworks
- Solid experience in writing SQL queries and database management
- Good communication skills, collaborative in nature and should be able to work in teams
- Demonstrates clarity within oral and written interactions; presentations and reports.
Sample Job Description
#1 Toppr – Business Analyst
ABOUT THE ROLE
Toppr is looking for a Business Analyst in its Business team. You’ll be a part of a core business team that drives revenue and renewals for the company. Your primary responsibility will be to work with the renewal’s AVP to first derive data-driven insights and initiatives to improve renewals, revenue and subsequently monitor implementation of chosen priority initiatives & metrics. You’ll conduct hypothesis-driven analysis of large data sets, identify initiatives to improve immediate performance, and monitor and troubleshoot identified metrics across all business units in India. You’ll greatly influence Toppr’s Renewals’ effectiveness and elevate the role of data as an asset to the business.
If you are technically adept and possess a keen eye for business with a real passion for making an impact, then we’d love to talk to you!
HOW YOU’LL RAMP
In First Week…
Understand Toppr’s journey, its values, and mission.
Spend time with the HR, Talent Acquisition, Marketing, Product, and Sales teams to get up-to-speed on Toppr’s offering, its competition, and future outlook.
By Day 30…
Answer questions by querying our data models and systems of record while increasing the adoption of data across the company.
Start to identify and pursue projects that directly drive efficiency in the Renewals team.
By Day 90…
Make recommendations that directly influence business outcomes. Identify areas of opportunity, spin up collaborative teams, and report on successes.
Dig deeper and pick projects that matter to Toppr Renewals and its success. By doing so, you’ll be solving problems on a pan-India level.
- B.Tech/BE from recognized (Tier 1 and 2) institutes.
- 2+ years of experience in data analytics, or BA/BS in Statistics, Project management, or related field.
WHO YOU ARE
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have the following skills:
- Agility: Endurance and flexibility to work through multiple iterations of work and quickly manage changing priorities and diverse subject matter.
- Collaboration: Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organization.
- Functional Excellence: Ability to apply analytical thinking and creative problem solving and conflict resolution to daily tasks. Must be well-organized detail-oriented, and disciplined.
- Endurance: Deliver under pressure and provide informed responses to leadership in short time-frames.
- Problem-solving: Comfort working in an unstructured environment that requires solving complex, open-ended issues with incomplete data and little direction.
WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN TOPPR
- Full exposure to all parts of the business: You will partner with and be exposed to every team: an unparalleled opportunity to learn about all the nuts and bolts of a business.
- As the business grows, you grow: We want Toppr to be built from within. We look at you as a business leader with the potential to make Toppr a $10B company.
- Work with the best: Learn from leaders who have built Toppr from the ground up. Work with down-to-earth, highly experienced, and insanely ambitious colleagues.
- High-growth industry: India’s online education industry is an ever-expanding pie and is poised to grow to $2 billion by 2020.
- High-growth startup: Toppr has grown over 50x in the last 3 years, and we aim to grab a big chunk of this ever-expanding pie.
#2 American Express- Business Analyst
American Express is a global services company and the world’s largest card issuer. Our direct relationships with many millions of consumers, businesses, and merchants worldwide – combined with our leading-edge marketing, information management, and rewards capabilities – enable us to offer an array of valuable services that enrich lives, build business success, encourage financial responsibility and create communities of people with common interests.
American Express for the 9th consecutive year has been voted among India’s top 10 workplaces by the Great Place to Work institute. In recognition of our consistent performance, we were nominated to the Great Place to Work “Hall of Fame”.
At American Express, we serve customers, not transactions. We’re widely known for providing superior customer service and have been recognized for several achievements including being ranked highest in customer satisfaction within the credit card industry by J.D. Power for seven consecutive years.
A career at American Express is rich in experience and offers opportunities to build lasting relationships with our customers.
Come join us and realize your potential.
American Express entered the travel agency business in 1915 and today is one of the world’s largest luxury travel and lifestyle services networks. The Global Travel & Lifestyle Services (TLS) business provides easy access and extraordinary service for Card Members seeking leisure or business travel, as well as a variety of lifestyle services. TLS serves American Express Card Members across 25 markets around the globe via several service channels including phone, email, and online. Service offerings differ by card type, with the phone channel predominantly servicing premium Card Members (i.e. Platinum & Centurion) with unique servicing models for each. The business continues to experiment and evolve with new servicing channels and models that will deliver an improved experience for our Card Members. For the past few years, the TLS business has been on a path to build increasingly global experiences for our Card Members, while allowing us internally to identify opportunities for greater efficiency, best practice, and innovation across the network.
Purpose Of The Role
This role will work closely with the Vice President of Travel & Lifestyle Services – support the functions for Global Operations.
- Provide planning and coordination support, including project management, analytical support, and support of strategic initiatives against key priorities.
- Assist in the day-to-day management of business planning and operational processes, including scorecards, budgeting, and operating expense management
- Lead the development and execution of internal communications and logistics for key events, business updates, and other deliverables, including accountability for organizing staff meetings, town halls, and off-sites.
- Support the organization in preparing strategic business reviews/presentations to senior Blue Box stakeholders such as Business Unit Reviews and Project Deep Dives
- Create impactful presentations by identifying, gathering, synthesizing, and assessing a variety of data.
- Proactively develop a strong network and working relationships with various constituents across the company to accomplish tasks on behalf of the team.
- Play an active leadership role in the team’s Colleague Engagement Strategy. Help the team achieve compliance goals by coordinating and tracking related activities
- Work closely with Operations teams to identify opportunities for data management & process improvements for enhanced timeliness and quality
- Partner with teams within GEO for delivery of best in class analytical solutions to drive strategic decision making
- Qualifications Critical Factors To Success
- Strong analytical abilities with working knowledge of data processing tools like SAS and SQL.
- Open to work any shift between 8:00 am to 10:00 pm window ( Mostly fixed shifts but should be flexible to meet the needs of the Business)
- The incumbent should have a performance rating of G3L3 or better in the last review (for internal employees)
- 3+ years experience in working as part of an executive office team
- 3+ years experience managing day to day VP level priorities required;
- 5+ years experience developing executive presentations, documents, etc. with advanced level MS PowerPoint, Excel, and Word skills
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree Preferred or has equivalent work experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including executive presence, with experience translating complex information and requirements into clear and actionable tasks.
- Deep knowledge of Amex organization systems, processes, and organizational structure
- Able to produce innovative, creative, and impactful presentations for all levels of leadership
- The individual must be highly organized, culturally aware and a strong communicator who can effectively multitask and prioritize as needs evolve.
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment, with excellent organization skills and careful attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure and adapt to changing circumstances
- An innovative and collaborative approach to problem-solving and overcoming barriers
- Demonstrated relationship management skills with proven ability to influence without authority across departmental and geographic boundaries
- Strong sense of integrity and ability to deal with issues and subject matter that requires considerable sensitivity, discretion, and judgment
- MS PowerPoint, Excel, and Word skills
- Working knowledge of data processing tools like SAS and SQL
- Knowledge Of Platforms
- MS Office, SAS, and SQL.
- Behavioral Skills/Capabilities
- Enterprise Leadership Behaviors
- Set The Agenda: Define What Winning Looks Like, Put Enterprise Thinking First, Lead with an External Perspective
- Bring Others With You: Build the Best Team, Seek & Provide Coaching Feedback, Make Collaboration Essential
- Do It The Right Way: Communicate Frequently, Candidly & Clearly, Make Decisions Quickly & Effectively, Live the Blue Box Values, Great Leadership Demands Courage
#3 Amazon- Business Analyst
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world-class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long-term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative, and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
Are you a customer-obsessed, flexible, smart and analytical, strategic yet execution-focused, hungry and passionate about e-commerce, experienced, and entrepreneurial leader with a strong work ethic? If yes, this opportunity will appeal to you.
Amazon.com strives to be Earth’s most customer-centric company where people can find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online. By giving customers more of what they want – low prices, vast selection, and convenience – Amazon.com continues to grow and evolve as a world-class e-commerce platform. As an extension of this, Amazon encourages vendors to offer products to Amazon customers through various forms of advertising. The advertising ops team in Bangalore has the onus to ensure that the advertising bar is maintained at the highest standard across Amazon websites. We work on various ad programs covering International Amazon marketplaces.
You should thrive and have demonstrated success in an environment that offers ambiguously defined problems, big challenges, and quick changes. You will be expected to balance detailed execution with speed and possess solid collaborative skills. You will be working in a fast-paced environment where every day brings new challenges and new opportunities. You should have excellent business and communication skills and be able to work with business owners to develop and define operational goals and metrics. The top candidate naturally dives deep to drive business through data insights and is passionate about socializing business impacts to guide the broader organization.
You will also have the opportunity to display your skills in the following areas
- The Business Analyst will help us extract meaning from large volumes of data to make the right business decisions. The candidate will have to set the right vision, strategy, and roadmap and work alongside stakeholders in the organization to make it happen. The candidate knows and loves working with business intelligence tools, can model multidimensional datasets, and can partner with business leaders to answer key business questions. You are analytical and creative, and you don’t quit.
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions.
- Make recommendations for new metrics, techniques, and strategies to improve marketing campaign targeting and measurement in the future.
- Define the data elements and data structure that our team should leverage to enable analytical capabilities for our product management and engineering teams
- Work with engineering and the data warehouse to enable the appropriate capture and storage of key data points.
- Design, implement, and support platforms that provide operations teams ad-hoc access to large datasets
- Enable effective decision making by retrieving and aggregating data from multiple sources and compiling it into a digestible and actionable format
- Participate in strategic & tactical planning discussions.
- Work with the operations leadership to finalize annual goals for the team and track the same on a weekly/monthly/quarterly basis throughout the year.
- Ensure KPIs are published and reviewed on a daily, weekly, monthly basis and perform analysis on any behaviors/processes that could impact data integrity
- Be connected and influential within the Amazon analyst community.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Operations Research, Math, or related discipline.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in a business analyst/data analyst/statistical analysis role
- Advanced SQL skills, fluent in R and/or Python, advanced Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel and analytical platforms
- Experience in developing requirements and formulating business metrics for reporting, familiarity with data visualization tools, e.g. Tableau
- Ability to display complex quantitative data in a simple, intuitive format and to present findings in a clear and concise manner
- Develop and administer goal setting, quota setting, team KPIs, and measurement for field teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- MBA, Master’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field
- 7+ years of relevant experience in a business analyst/data analyst/statistical analysis role
- Strong communication skills and experience leading and coordinating broad business reviews
- Six-Sigma / Lean knowledge would be a plus.
- Operations Research or Capacity Planning experience is strongly preferred.
- Certification in process excellence (PMI, PMP)