Job Description of Software Engineer
We are a fast-growing company with multiple development projects across technologies and industries. We are looking for team players who are smart, experienced, and who can apply the principles of software engineering to design, develop, testing, maintenance, and evaluation of computer software.
Responsibilities as a Software Engineer:
- Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
- Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments, and clear code.
- Prepare and install solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Update technical skills by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment.
- Participate in educational opportunities & read professional publications.
- Be aware of security regulations and carry out all work within the security framework of the company and client.
Skill sets we require:
- At Least 2 years work experience as a Software Engineer or Software Developer
- Experience designing interactive applications
- Ability to develop software in Java, Ruby on Rails, C++, or other programming languages
- Excellent knowledge of relational databases, SQL, and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate)
- Experience developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC)
- Experience with test-driven development
- Proficiency in software engineering tools
- Ability to document requirements and specifications
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Computer Science Engineering or Equivalent.
Sample Job Descriptions
Software Engineer at Amazon
Prime Video is changing the traditional television and movie industry with a vast library of high-quality media and reliable digital delivery. Our services are engineered for high availability, maximum reach, and cost savings that we can pass on to customers. We enable the world to watch the video instantly, across hundreds of devices, whether on the road or from the comfort of a living room sofa. Today, we deliver movies and TV shows to computers, gaming consoles, tablets, smartphones, and smart TVs. We operate in more than 200 countries, and we aspire to grow — a lot.
Want to join a team working on a high-impact project with a direct and significant impact on the Prime Video business? Want to join a high visibility project still in the beginning phases with a lot of opportunities to innovate, design, and implement solutions that will have a direct impact on increasing customer selection, reduce operating costs which in turn translates to lower prices for Amazon customer?
In the Catalog Services team, we are writing highly scalable distributed services from the ground up to search and build intelligent relationships (hierarchical, duplicate, etc.) which will have an exponential impact on the way customers experience Prime Video titles. We work closely with many teams in the Prime Video supply chain as the relationship space affects the complete video supply chain.
We are looking for talented software development engineers who are eager to shine by designing and developing world-class solutions. The engineering candidate wants to have ownership of a domain to deliver meaningful results to the customers. As an organization, we work hard to not only deliver results but invest in each team member’s career and skillsets goals. Additionally, we encourage the use of new technologies when the technology provides a clear advantage.
Successful candidates for this position will have a strong background in designing and developing world-class microservices in Java, C++, C#, Python, NodeJS, or Ruby. Equally important to these specific candidate skills are excellently written and verbal communication skills both with the team and external teams, the ability to multitask, the ability to translate business requirements to engineering requirements, the ability to adapt quickly to new environments, and using creativity to solve difficult problems in a world-class engineering team.
Come be a part of the greenfield initiative to create an impact in a fast-growing area within Amazon.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- 1+ years experience writing production code of increasing complexity
- Understanding of computer science fundamentals, including algorithms, complexity analysis, data structures, problem-solving, and object-oriented analysis and design
- Working knowledge of programming languages other than Java, C, or C++ (e.g. Ruby)
- Working knowledge of databases, service-oriented architectures, and highly-scaled distributed systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience with mission-critical, 24×7 systems experience with high throughput cloud systems
- Relentless customer focus
- Excellent analytical skills
- Experience implementing and consuming large scale web services
- Masters degree in Computer Science or equivalent
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Software Engineer Thomson Reuters
Thomson Reuters is the world’s leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision-makers in the legal and tax & accounting markets, powered by the world’s most trusted news organization. More information about Thomson Reuters and its financial performance can be found on www.ThomsonReuters.com.
Asia & Emerging Markets (AEM) focuses on helping Thomson Reuters expand its presence and accelerate growth in rapidly developing countries and regions. AEM offers products and services to professionals in Legal and Tax & Accounting in countries such as Australia, Japan, China, India, Russia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, and the Gulf.
Essential day to day responsibility –
We are looking for a talented, highly motivated Software Engineer to work in a fast-paced, energetic environment. As a Software Engineer, you will be a member of a small team of developers that is responsible for supporting and developing commercial solutions used by customers throughout the globe. You will spend approximately 30% of your time interacting and collaborating with product developers, project managers, software engineers, and quality assurance analysts across the globe. The rest of your time will be spent designing, prototyping, developing, testing, and deploying technology solutions.
- Develops, deploys, and supports applications from initial ideation to implementation. Development is done in a variety of environments, but mainly Java on a Linux application server using Oracle as the database.
- Develops software solutions by studying requirements; conferring with business users and analysts; studying system flows and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
- Willingness to operate in a diverse platform and has experience working with multiple project environments
- Ability to handle support and development work items from multiple projects concurrently
- Analyzes product requirements and contributes to the design, development, and implementation of the software modules.
- Improves operations by collecting information from support incidents, conducting system analysis, root cause analysis, and provide issue resolutions.
- Willingness to learn new technologies, cross-train self and team members in different skills and tools.
- Awareness of Agile project development methodology, SCRUM, continuous integration process.
- Assists team lead with project development estimates and timelines.
Education – Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
Required Skills – 0 to 3 year’s industry experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Core Java and J2EE
- Spring Framework – Core, Spring MVC, Persistence
- Linux and/or UNIX
- Web Services – RestFUL web service development
- Tomcat/ Apache web servers
- SQL/PLSQL/Oracle databases
- XML , XSL/T , Xpath,
- TFS, CVS, SVN, Perforce, or similar source code control system
- Unit testing – Junit, Mockito
- Distributed application development hosted on multiple environments
- Knowledge of .NET, C# is an added plus.
- Strong focus on customer service
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving, data analysis, design, and testing skills.
- Hard worker, quick learner, and eager to leverage new technologies.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences.
With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance – and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity, and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Software Engineer – Dropbox Seattle, WA
Dropbox is a leading global collaboration platform that’s transforming the way people work together, from the smallest business to the largest enterprise. With more than 500 million registered users across more than 180 countries, our mission is to unleash the world’s creative energy by designing a more enlightened way of working. Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, Dropbox has more than 12 offices around the world.
Our Engineering team is working to simplify the way people work together. They’re building a family of products that handle over a billion files a day for people around the world. With our broad mission and massive scale, there are countless opportunities to make an impact.
Dropbox is looking for software engineers to build the next generation of work collaboration tools. The software engineer role is a generalist role, accepting people with a broad range of expertise with an emphasis on the backend and distributed systems work. You can find more specialized engineering roles including mobile, web, and full-stack on our engineering jobs page.
Software engineers work at all levels of the stack to deliver software – everything from syncing exabytes of data to staying in flow with Dropbox Paper, to handling millions of HTTP requests. Software Engineers are at the heart of everything we do at Dropbox, and in a typical week, you’ll be expected to develop new features in a multi-functional team of designers, product managers, project managers, and quality assurance engineers. Software engineers are also responsible for the quality of the code and systems they produce, working hand-in-hand with customer experience and quality assurance Dropboxers to ensure that our product continues to serve the needs of our tens of millions of users.
If you are a new grad or intern please apply directly to that role.
- You will partner with product managers, designers, and analysts to deeply understand the needs of our users and build a product that serves those needs
- You will build infrastructure to handle metadata for hundreds of billions of files, hundreds of petabytes of user data, and millions of concurrent connections
- You will write modular, secure, and well-tested code
- You will design and build software capable of reaching millions of daily users in Python, React, and Go
- You will ensure that our development environment is best-in-class by delivering improvements to internal tooling and direct partnership with our product platform teams
- You will work closely with customer support to respond quickly to issues for our users and solve those in a permanent and scalable way
- You will articulate a technical vision for a more enlightened way of working and work with multi-functional partners to deliver that vision
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience
- 2+ years of work-related industry experience
- A desire to take Dropbox even further. If these large-scale projects resonate, we’d love to learn more about you and find out if we can work together
Benefits and Perks
- 100% company paid individual medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage
- 401k + company match
- Market competitive total compensation package
- Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Generous vacation policy
- 10 companies paid holidays
- Volunteer time off
- Company-sponsored tech talks (technology and other relevant professional topics)
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pride box (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas), and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).