Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
What is meant by Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)?
BYOD or Bring Your Own Device is a growing trend or a policy where companies allow employees to use their personal devices such as Mobile, Tablet, USB drives, Laptop, and Computer for office work. Employees can connect their device to the organizational network for office-related work and thus the benefits and risks both apply. The trend can boost employees’ morale and increase productivity but the company might also face security-related challenges and the data and information stay vulnerable.
Important factors that affect BYOD policies include:
- Types of approved devices
- Security and data ownership policies
- Limitations of IT support granted to personal devices
Advantages of BYOD:
- Higher productivity level
- Increased job satisfaction
- IT expense is saved to an extent
Disadvantages of BYOD:
- Increase of data breaches possibility
- Lack of network
- Possibility of virus attacks if devices are not secured