Promotion refers to upward movement in the present job leading to greater responsibilities, higher status, and better salary. Promotion may be temporary or permanent depending upon the organizational requirement.
Advantages of Promotion
The advantages of promotion are to:
- Recognize employee’s performance and commitment and motivate him/her towards better performance.
- Develop competitive spirit among employees for acquiring knowledge and skills for higher-level jobs.
- Retain skilled and talented employees.
- Reduce discontent and unrest.
- To fill up a job’s vacant position that is created due to retirement, resignation, or demise of an employee. In this case, the next senior employee will be promoted to the vacant job.
- Utilize more effectively the knowledge and skills of employees.
- Attract suitable and competent employees.