What is Casual Leave?
Casual leave (CL) is a type of paid leave granted to an employee, which can be applied during an unexpected situation or an unforeseen event that occurs without any prior plans. Employees mostly use casual leaves for personal matters where they can take a day or two off from work. It is usually availed after the end of their probation period.
Every organization has different leave policies. Various types of leave are granted by Indian companies including sick leaves, casual leaves, maternity, paternity, and many more. Casual leave is the type of leave granted to the employees in India by the employer. The term ‘casual’ defines an event or situation that occurs by chance and without any plan. Casual leave is paid leave and can be typically availed after the probation period of the employee ends.
Casual leave rules of the company.
- If the company is registered under the Shops and Establishment act, then the employees are qualified to get a casual leave of six days.
- Casual leaves are not clubbed with earned leaves or sick leaves.
- Casual leaves can be availed for a minimum of half a day to a maximum of three days. Beyond this, leaves are generally availed as earned leave, privileged leaves, or any other type. However, the rules can be flexible as per the company’s leave policies. Few companies offer a maximum of 3 days paid casual leave and the others offer more than that.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is earned leave?
Earned leave is a type of paid leave that are earned by an employee if they serve more than 240 days of service to the employer in a calendar year. These leaves are calculated on a monthly basis for the annual calendar.
2. What is the difference between earned leave and casual leave?
The basic difference between a casual leave and an earned leave is that while casual leave can be availed for a minimum of half day and a maximum of 3 days. And beyond this the availed leaves are treated as earned leaves.
3. Is casual leave paid?
Yes, casual leave is a type of paid leave that can be availed for a minimum of half a day to a maximum of three days.
4. How many casual leave in a year?
Generally, the number of leaves depends on the state the company is located at as every state has different leave entitlement and policies that the company follows. But most State Legislations has common provisions for most matters. So, a minimum of seven days casual leaves is provided to employees.